The U.S. announced last week that it launched a missile strike into Syria in retaliation for the death of an American contractor in the country.
“Make no mistake: The United States does not—does not seek conflict with Iran,” President Joe Biden said during his visit to Canada. “But be prepared for us to forcefully protect our people.”
“That’s exactly what happened last night. We’re going to continue to keep up our efforts to counter terrorist threats in the region,” he said.
U.S. officials told CBS News last week that a contractor was killed and five U.S. service members were injured when a suspected Iranian drone slammed into a coalition base in Syria.
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said in a statement that the U.S. retaliated with “precision airstrikes” against facilities in the eastern part of the country. The U.S. strikes, fired by F-15s at 2:40 a.m. on Thursday, killed six Iranian-backed fighters at an arms depot in Deir el-Zour, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights told CBS News.
“We’re continuing to assess the outcome of the strikes,” the U.S. said.
Nasser Kanaani, the Iranian foreign ministry spokesman, lashed out at the U.S.’s continued “illegal” presence in the country.
TRENDPOST: U.S. troops have illegally invaded Syria since 2015 under the bullshit guise that they are there to fight against ISIS. There are about 900 troops still in the country. (See “U.S. SAYS IT KILLED NEARLY 700 SUSPECTED ISIS MEMBERS IN IRAQ, SYRIA IN 2022” 10 Jan 2023 and “WARMONGERS IN CONGRESS VOTE TO KEEP U.S. FORCES IN SYRIA’S FOREVER WAR” 14 Mar 2023.)
Kanaani said, “Fighting the terrorist group is only an excuse by the United States to maintain its occupation of Syria and keep looting the Arab country’s national resources, including energy and grains.”
He accused the U.S. of facilitating ISIS’s growth in the country with the killings of key military officials like the Iranian general Qassem Soleimani. It is important to note that Iran is a Syrian ally and it is the U.S. forces that are the uninvited occupiers. Turkey, a NATO ally, and Russia, called on Washington to withdraw its remaining military forces from Syria last year.
Gen. Erik Kurilla, the commander of U.S. Central Command, said U.S. forces could carry out even more strikes on Syrian targets if there are additional “Iranian attacks.”
“We are postured for scalable options,” he said.
There were two additional attacks hours later on two U.S. facilities in Deir ez-Zor Province, according to ABC News. The attacks occurred at about the same time. The news outlet, citing unnamed U.S. sources, reported that “two of the three drones that targeted one U.S. facility were shot down, but one drone made it through.” There were no reports of injuries.
Austin, the defense secretary, said earlier this month that Washington has no plans to exit the Middle East. (See “U.S. HEGEMONY PERSISTS. WILL REMAIN IN MIDDLE EAST FOR ‘LONG HAUL,’” 7 Mar 2023.) There have been 78 similar attacks on U.S. forces in the country since the beginning of 2021.
TRENDPOST: As Gerald Celente has been stating since America’s illegal invasion of Iraq, based on lies that Saddam Hussain had weapons of mass destruction, “Do you think America would invade if Iraq’s major export was broccoli?” The same with Syria and Libya… it’s all about oil and U.S. domination.
Indeed, the recent strikes from “pro-Iranian” groups hit the Al-Omar oil field, which hosts the International Coalition’s largest base in Syria, according to the U.S.
The United States has no right to be in Syria, a foreign nation that is no threat and has made no threats to America.
It also should be noted the initial reason given for U.S. military presence in Syria was not fighting ISIS, but rather President Barack Obama, The Nobel Peace Prize winner, demanded on 20 March 2013 that Syrian President Bashar al Assad “must go,” during a joint press conference with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Yet, the American media and the public team up against Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, while they champion Washington’s foreign entanglements.